Thursday, September 27, 2012

Castle Hill

After two hours walking around the castle and its grounds, I ventured down to the old town area, aka Castle Hill (also known as Cathedral Quarter). There are tons of old, old buildings, crooked streets and alleys and steep little roads going down to Lincoln proper. You can find everything from Tudor houses and cozy pubs to modern Thai restaurants in this part of town. I must say I have really taken a liking to Lincoln. Feast yer eyes, people!

All pics here.

This is a Tudor building. It's not fake, it was built in 1543. It currently houses the tourist information. My head is spinning at the thought.
DSCN3391

The inner part of the old Roman gate, from the early 3rd century. This is the only Roman construction in England that still has traffic going through it. Back in the day it stood 8 metres tall, but the ground level has since risen.
DSCN3370

The main entrance of the castle.
DSCN3382

I guess the old name wasn't politically correct anymore.
DSCN3384

View up the hill from down the road.
DSCN3397

I bought some stuff here. The orange chocs weren't much, but the strawberry ones were yummy.
DSCN3399

I gave this fella two pounds. He was playing Dylan somewhat competently (which is more than you can say about Dylan).
DSCN3402

I had lunch at a cozy looking pub called Magna Carta. Looks nice, yeah?
DSCN3385

Sadly, it all tasted pretty much the same - deep fry. I'll never understand English cuisine.
DSCN3390

No comments: